Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent

So, it's December 1st and it's the perfect time to count down to Christmas. You all would be absolutely amazed at the advent calendar wreaths that Ruth and I made (I promise to post some pictures soon), and last night Erik and I planned Christmas activities for the month. A lot of these are things we'd probably do anyway, but this gives us a schedule and something to make it seem like a Christmas adventure. This is the first year that Go-go really has any notion of time and looking forward to events, so we're really excited to make it fun. And I think Mui-mui will enjoy it too, even if she'll have no idea what's going on. It's also the first time in almost a decade that we'll be home for Christmas - now's the time for us to establish our own holiday traditions.

So, here's what you'll find on little slips of paper along with the chocolate in each days ornament:

Make Paper snowflakes
Dance to Christmas music
Watch Rudolph the Red-nosed reindeer
Make Christmas cards for friends and family
Feed the missionaries
Take family pictures
Watch the Prophet's Christmas message at the church
Make a paper chain for the tree
Bake cookies
Drink hot chocolate
Watch the Grinch
Drive through Christmas lights
Go to the Christmas Tree farm and go to the ward Christmas party
Decorate the Christmas tree
Buy a toy for 'toys for tots'
Wrap presents
Drink Eggnog
Family game night
Make a list of 10 things we're thankful for
Go to the Niagara Falls Christmas Displays
Read the Christmas story from the Book of Mormon
Sing Christmas carols
Bake cookies for neighbors
Read the Christmas story from the Bible and do a Nativity Pageant

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I want to see pictures! That sounds so great. What a fun list!

Michelle said...

I am so looking forward to those pics. I am glad that you posted what you are going to do this month, I am going to steal your ideas.THANKS!!

Cathryn said...

My kids used to love the advent calendars Grandma Jamison would give them each year. Do you remember getting them from her too? Glad to see you are continuing on with the tradition!

Cynthia said...

Margaret!!! I found you!! I was randomly clicking on Libby's site and picked your site at random. I wasn't paying attention to the picture and got several posts in before I realized it was you. Of course, the 8 years in Pittsburgh was the give away. Your kids are gorgeous and I'm so glad that Erik loves his job. We're in suburbia as well and missing some aspects of city life, you guys for one. We're expecting in January, and we're having a boy. I'm so glad you caved to the peer pressure, seeing as your peers want to keep up with you!

edith said...

Hooray! You found me and now I found you back!
Now I can blogstalk you.
Good to see you and yours.

Ashley said...

What a great list!

Laurel said...

What a great idea! I think I'll work on my own list (and borrow a few of your ideas!!)

Robyn said...

Wow, you are so organized! We should make a list like that. I love the Christmas season, but I haven't really gotten into it yet. I love your idea of having an activity advent calender. Have fun.

Libby said...

Just so you know...I'm keeping this "unread" in Google Reader so I can refer back to it. We've made snowflakes and I took some Christmas pictures (you're getting a card, don't worry), and yesterday we drank hot chocolate and wrote letters to Santa. The Christmas tree was decorated two days after Thanksgiving. Hooray!